Saturday, October 8, 2022

Creedence Clearwater Revival

Our view of history is colored by what happened later and that can distort an event's original significance. For example, if I ask you a simple, important question -- what was the most popular rock band in 1970? -- I'm sure you'll get it wrong

Many of you will guess The Beatles but they broke up and passed the mantle of number one to then-number two band. This second band is overlooked for several reasons. First, it was popular for only 2-3 years, then broke up and never re-united. Its individual members lacked the charisma of John Lennon, Mick Jagger, Janis Joplin, et al. and never reached the same height again. Plus they hate each other. Prior to their amazing period of popularity, the band worked in obscurity for ten years and perfected its craft; it was ready to become number one when the opportunity arose. 

The band is Creedence Clearwater Revival. CCR soared to the top of the charts in 1969-71; they even played at Woodstock. CCR broke up in 1971. Before then the band produced a string of great hits, some of which you recognize in covers by others (e.g., "Proud Mary" [Tina Turner]). Among their huge hits were "Bad Moon Rising," "Travelin' Band," "Midnight Special," "Susie Q" and "I Heard It Through The Grapevine."

If you want to look back a half-century in music, check out CCR. Several compilations of their greatest hits were made and are worth listening to.

10 comments:

  1. I love CCR! we have one of the big compilations/hits CD packages and they have DOZENS of songs you'd recognize. I think they got a big bump in recognition when "The Big Lebowski" came out - "Not the Creedence, man!" :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you share my affection for this music. Glad also to hear from you; I know you've been sad lately.

      Delete
  2. Interesting post Ally. I have a couple of CCR compilations myself. My favourite CCR track has to be 'I Put a Spell on You'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've heard anything from this band before, so thanks for sharing a little more about them :)

    Hope you are having a wonderful weekend :) Quiet Sunday for us as it's cold and rainy today!

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You probably have heard some CCR songs without knowing it, like "Midnight Special" and "Proud Mary." They're ubiquitous in our culture.

      Delete
  4. I've always loved the Creedence! Had no idea the were considered the number-two band after the Beatles at the time! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another fan here! I have at least two of their songs still in my current rotation playlist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd not heard of them! Will go and listen. Kezzie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll enjoy their music. It's accomplished craftsmanship.

      Delete