Thursday, April 14, 2022

New Adventures

The fun part of the year is beginning -- what are your plans for adventure? Travel? Hobbies?

I decided to switch my primary motorcycle-riding from the big, comfortable touring bike (BMW K1600GTL) to the more exciting sport-bike (BMW S1000R). The tourer is a two-wheeled RV with a windscreen, GPS and heated seat. The sport-bike is faster and more nimble. I always smile bigger getting off the S1000R but usually choose the GTL 'cause I'm lazy. This year I'm thinkin' I want the sport-bike's excitement even if my thighs ache the next day, which they always do. (You use them for body-positioning and as shock-absorbers.)

Yesterday I was riding down the street when two young guys in a truck shouted "Nice bike!" and gave big thumbs up to the S1000R. It felt good being applauded by folks literally half my age. Which made me reflect on aging.

When I was young, people my age now (64) looked OLD. And acted it. In contrast I feel vigorous now, on the doorstep to a new chapter in life. Years don't matter, attitude does.

The S1000R is set for the season: new tires, inspected and serviced. I'm also ready with new Sidi boots and aerodynamic backpack. In addition to spirited riding on the street I'll take this missile to the track before the end of the year. My last sport-bike (Yamaha FZ-1) hit 140 mph there and I know the BMW can reach 160 mph.

So what are your plans?! 

19 comments:

  1. What an amazing life you lead. Keep it up!
    XO JJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. No travel for us just yet - we're not feeling comfortable enough with the international situation yet. We'll be easing in to our parties and events locally, and even have a concert coming up!

    I'm so glad you're riding the bike that gives you the most joy, Ally. I love getting comments from the youngs - I had a young person exclaim over my outfit the other day, and it made me feel so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No plans right now. I love to live viacariously through my adrenaline junkie friends (hint hint) ; P

    I agree that our attitude counts for so much as we age. The less we do or try to do, the less we can do.

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. And I want to do more with my life!

      Delete
  4. Excellent choice, congratulations! When I bought my Kawasaki Ninja ZX14 ten years ago, I was 56 years old. A 7 seven year old in my neighborhood told me I was to old for my bike, lol I wonder what he would say now that I am 66, lol

    If interested, Sunday, April 24 is the Gathering of the Nortons in Washington Crossing Park. Here is a link: https://dvnr.org/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny that people view age as placing limits on us. Why? Thanks for the link.

      Delete
  5. I don't know anything about motorcycles but that looks really cool. Enjoy, but be careful! I worry about you going so fast, LOL. No travel plans...as much as we'd like to go somewhere we still just don't feel safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Motorcycles are inherently risky so one has to approach them with caution. The most important way to protect yourself is to improve your riding skill. Going to the track, ironically, does that. Despite the speed, you test and expand your limits.

      Delete
  6. That sports bike sounds like a wonderful choice.
    I hope that some day I'll have a motorcycle of my own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Dad will be 85 this year and he was out on his motorbike on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for him! That's an example I want to follow.

      Delete
  8. Yess. Love this.

    Love: Mariann Yip
    https://www.mariannyc.com/un-hinged-one-month-recap/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree about people being 64 and how they act being different now! You are an excellent role model for enjoying your 60's - you've worked really hard for this time though!
    160mph??????? Wow!!!! Can't even imagine what that would look or feel like on a motorbike!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kezzie. 160 is surprising: the bike feels stable to the point of being frozen.

      Delete