Sunday, November 3, 2019

TWA Hotel


I'm having a wonderful birthday!

A bright idea occurred to me to spend this special occasion at the TWA Hotel inside JFK airport. The hotel is designed as a throw-back to the Fifties with hip retro styling, entertaining museum exhibits and a restored airplane turned into a cocktail lounge. My martini there came with complimentary flight wings appointing me "Junior Pilot."

TWA was the largest airline in its day, owned by eccentric Howard Hughes. Back then, flying was glamorous: people dressed up for it, didn't have to endure any security and smoked on planes. Boy, have things changed!

Time travel was a smart choice for the occasion since I reflect on the past when birthdays roll in. Here are some photos of the hotel. I recommend it highly the next time you visit New York. It's conveniently located and not expensive. Adding to the hotel's atmosphere are famous tunes from the 1950s and 1960s.

There is a beautiful exhibit of historical stewardess uniforms which I'll show you in my next post.
























20 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!!!

    Looks like you're having a blast AND your outfit matches the airplane/hotel/lounge.

    That Twister room is hilarious.

    Enjoy!

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Getting dressed, I didn't know I'd be matching the TWA logo colors.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday! Looks like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! Looks like a blast! Happy Birthday again Ally! ������

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! The TWA hotel looks so cool! Love the pic of the flight attendant uniforms!

    Jill - Doused in Pink

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday. It seems like the TWA hotel is well worth a visit back in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go there, even for just an hour. You don't need a room to be able to wander around the exhibits, listen to the music and feel the retro vibe. Lots of free things to do and enjoy. Plus it's easy to get to; just take the LIRR to Jamaica and the AirTrain to Terminal 5.

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday Ally, and you've certainly celebrated in style! What a fabulous place! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday my lovely! What a great way to spend your birthday! I LOVE that you matched the plane in your outfit- that's what I'd do too!!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Our fashion instincts head the same direction. :)

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday, sweetheart! I love that you treated yourself to this fun stay! Your red and white outfit looks so cool with the plane.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many happy returns! Some fab photos of some classic designs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how fun. Thanks for posting these wonderful images. It's like being there without actually traveling to see it. I've been to NY once. Would someday like to return.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy belated! I'm so glad to see your pics! I was looking forward to em. This is a 'retrofuturism' dream. Ahh and all the red and white. LOVE

    ReplyDelete