Friday, September 4, 2015

All The Young Dudes

Have you ever had a string of coincidences so persistent that it feels like there's an external force messing with your head? I'm wondering right now if I'm the test-subject for aliens floating in a spaceship above my house.

Forty years ago, I was a teenager immersed in rock music. One of my favorite songs was a classic -- "All The Young Dudes" -- sung by an English group named Mott the Hoople. Until recently, I didn't know that David Bowie wrote the song and gave it as a gift to the group's lead singer. I also didn't know the names of the group's members despite owning several of their albums.

Last Friday, I went to a concert by another group from my youth that is still kicking around (J. Geils Band). They were okay. Before they came on, there was a warm-up act. An old white-haired guy comes out, wearing sunglasses and looking as cool as a big rock-star despite being 76 years old. I didn't recognize his name (Ian Hunter).

Hunter rocked. Hard. And his songs sounded vaguely familiar. Then he vigorously launched into "All The Young Dudes" and I instantly knew who he is -- the lead singer from Mott the Hoople. There's no mistaking his vocal inflections. He is a voice from my past. If I'd had any doubt, the roar of the (better informed) crowd would have set me straight.

Since then, I'm being followed around by this song. I heard it on the car-radio. Then, out of nowhere, my blogger-friend Sara writes these words on Facebook -- "All The Young Dudes." No context, no explanation -- and she's in her thirties, too young to remember the song when it was a big hit.

This morning I put on the soundtrack to the movie "Juno" which I'd seen several times. Suddenly, on comes "All The Young Dudes," sung by Ian. I don't remember that being in the movie, but apparently it was.

Rather than fight this message from the Universe, I'm embracing it. I figure if unknown forces want me to focus on a British rock classic, I may as well look the part. Isn't the above outfit perfectly suited to this serendipitous situation?

17 comments:

  1. Weird coincidence!!! You legs look amazing in those leggings!!!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes life's just funny in that way, isn't it?

    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a name for that! It's called the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon (http://www.damninteresting.com/the-baader-meinhof-phenomenon/). I've definitely experienced it myself before, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a bad song to be followed around by. This definitely happens to me. I wonder what the Universe is trying to tell you?

    Love those trousers. Wish I could pull off stripes like you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that song, and I only have encountered it on the Juno soundtrack! I recognized the blog title immediately. You look vey rock and roll here. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the young dudes know about kismet :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Mott the Hoople and All the Young Dudes, but I never knew Bowie wrote it. I know of Ian Hunter but never knew he was the lead singer. And I didn't know J. Geils was still around. So many things I've learned this morning, not least of which is that animal prints and stripes look fantastic together! Well, they do on you anyway ... probably not something I'd ever attempt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are getting more daring with your outfits!
    Must be the coincidence in the air!
    Xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes I knew he wrote that I was a BIG fan back in high school.

    Allie of ALLIE NYC
    allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those kinds of stripes always make me think rocker chick - you got the lean and leggy look down, Ally!
    There's a certain song by the group Incubus that always comes on when I'm having a philosophical moment. It's happened so regularly that I think it's more than coincidence!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yes, Love the leo and stripes, you look rock and roll! I love that song, and I adored JUNO... Embrace the toughest in your head...they may be your map!
    xx, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it when kismet catches up with karma and find out that it is actually Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon!!! You are wearing the right outfits for this sort of occurrence and it looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When you are aware of something - you start seeing it everywhere ! or in this case, hearing. We were just talking about that a few weeks ago in a psychology class. I forgot the word for it :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cool!!! Whether's it's a sign of sorts from the universe or just a bit of frequency illusion/Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon at work, I always enjoy hearing about situations like this and having them occur to me as well (so long as they're positive).

    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* Your heels are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I sit in the class of Miss Ally and learn every time you write a post ... That outfit would be perfect to dance to your song.

    ReplyDelete