Saturday, January 30, 2016

The "Gilmore Girls" Are Coming Back!


I watch new TV shows and have an uncanny ability to spot the few that will succeed. For example, I identified "The Big Bang Theory" as a future hit after only the first two episodes of Season One.

One show I raved about to my friends in 2000-2007 was the "Gilmore Girls." Starring Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel, the show concerns a single mother and her teenage daughter living in a small rural town. What makes the show so appealing are its quirky characters and their witty banter. The show was created by Amy Sherman-Palladino who will head the revival. (She left the initial run in the sixth season because of a contractual dispute and, in her absence, the show deteriorated.)

Now, a decade after the show ended, Netflix is bringing the show back with all the stars, including Graham, Bledel, Scott Patterson, Kelly Bishop and Keiko Agena. Sadly, Edward Herrmann has since passed away and can't join the group. There's no word yet on whether Melissa McCarthy (who had a small role as a chef and has since flown to stardom) is returning; I suspect she'll appear in a cameo.

Did you ever watch this show?

10 comments:

  1. I've never seen this show... But Bryan was a huge fan and mentioned it to me once when we watched Parenthood together since Lauren Graham starred on that show and I loved her personality/spunk. I'll have to give this a viewing! XOXO and happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely check it out! It's on DVD (free at libraries), streaming and there's a box-set of the entire series. I think you'll like it. Lauren Graham is at her best in it.

      Delete
  2. I must admit I've never seen this show. We did however tour the lot at the studio once. Didn't mean anything to me since I'd never seen the show.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Gilmore Girls ... I will definitely look out for the revival.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Several of my friends raved about Gilmore Girls so I binged it on Netflix last spring. I'm not crazy about the two main characters but the townies are great - Miss Patti always makes me laugh and Babette is so crazy. There's a podcast called Gilmore Guys that has interviewed some of the actors as well as the casting agents and others.
    I am looking forward to the new episodes. Yay, Lane! I hope we get to hear more Hep Alien.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You highlight a strength of the show -- superb characters who populate Stars Hollow. They're fascinating.

      Delete
  5. i have never seen this show before! it's on my list to binge watch one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to watch this with my daughter and thought it was very good at the time we saw it. However, I caught a few later episodes and thought - as you said - that it had deteriorated. Interesting that it's being brought back - that doesn't often happen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, even in The Netherlands we watched Gilmore Girls. I loved it. I also watch The Big Bang Theory (love it). And I loved Third Rock from the Sun. I wonder whether Netflix The Netherlands is going to broadcast Gilmore Girls.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was one of the shows I used to watch with my mom. I'm definitely going to check out the new version on Netflix and reminisce. <3

    ReplyDelete