Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Shopping Experiences

My outfit-posts always come with stories.  I wonder why that is.  Perhaps it's because I'm so eager to do this that I pay close attention to details and then can't resist sharing them with you.  Thank you for indulging me.

The outfit below is a Frankenstein creation.  Its base is the third dress I bought at Soho Girl last week.  I knew when I selected the dress that it needed help.  The ruffles in the skirt are irresistible to me but the top is troublesome -- it is spare except for two tiny spaghetti straps.  A top like that makes me appear to be the starting linebacker for the New York Jets.  Not the feminine impression I want to create. 

So I need to cover the top up -- and I found a perfect item.  There's the story.

I walk around my neighborhood a lot.  There's a small boutique on my regular path that sells trendy clothes to tweens.  Not teens but tweens.  Of course, their sizes run from small to very small.  I always walk past the store and never go in.  I figure, first, they won't have anything for me and, second, I'll look odd surrounded by tween girl clothes.

Last Saturday,  as I walked past, I thought to myself I want to see what they have.  Even if the clothes are too small, even if I get cold stares, I want to see what the store carries.  I thought that'd be fun.  So I went in. 

The store is lovely.  Full of pretty bright colors and lovely girl clothes.  Yes, most things are too small for me but they have a few loose tops I can fit into.  Like the one shown below.  I found it on the discount rack for $5.  When I touched it, I knew I could find some use for it.  Plus it's airy and cool in Summer.

Even better, the salesgirls were nice.  Friendly.  That may sound ordinary to you but it's not for me.  Entering a women's clothing store looking like a 55-year old man is always anxiety-producing for me.  I used to worry about reactions to my shopping in female domains but experience has taught me that 99% of the time the sales-staff is too bored to care.  I get indifference, which is what I've come to expect.  I've never gotten friendliness -- until this time.  The two girls at the counter were friendly and chatted with me.  They didn't go too far with their conversation but it was a welcome relief from the stony silence I usually get.  I went back there Sunday and bought more stuff.  They greeted me again with friendliness.

Anyway, to the outfit -- what do you think?


 
 
 

 
 
 

 
 
 

31 comments:

  1. LOVE THAT SHIRT THING! I mean, I love that cupcake dress, too, it's lovely but the lime green shirt is amazing. :-) I'm glad the sales people were friendly - that is SO important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look like yummy rainbow sherbet! (I mean that as a compliment) I love the stories that go with your outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love a good story. It's what I find compelling about personal style blogs. :D

    As for the shirt, I think your instincts are spot on! A curved neck like that shows a little decolletage and gives you some coverage while showing your pretty dress underneath. Layering was very much a challenge for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must be the day for acid-y greens; the cardi I wore was a similar colour! Lacy, semi-sheer tops over cami-style tops are great in summer; you get coverage, but still give the illusion of bare skin, I think.

    I'm so glad to hear you had a good shopping experience in a place you weren't expecting it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your stories and that's what I come for .. I mean your dresses are lovely but you are the cherry on top for sure. Thanks for sharing always :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and I love that top .. I would wear it in a second it would look stunning under my bike jacket :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the top, it's so pretty. I love your photos, your happiness really shines through :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great top and a great way to rock the neon trend. I am glad that the salespeople were nice to you. I think no matter what your gender, salespeople can be rude no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the shop sounds great! I'm happy for you. friendliness is what we all looking for.

    I love the top and this skirt (dress yeah). The colours are very nicely matched and I feel very happy looking at it. The green with white and orange always make me think of summer

    ReplyDelete
  10. Citrus-y lacy ruffly PERFECTION!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! I am glad you had a great experience! The bright colors are perfection together :) Don't worry, I think it is kinda normal to get the stone-stare in shops.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooh, that skirt is so fun! And I'm glad you were able to find a top to complement it. I feel you on the spaghetti strap issue...a lot of times, my shoulders are too broad for certain styles as well.

    An unsolicited posing tip, if you don't mind: When you put a hand on your hip, push that hip out a little more by straightening that leg and bending the other at the knee--you might also think of it as lifting that side of your hip up. Just a tad. It'll give you some attitude and help your figure look a little more "hourglass" :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow! the outfit is very cute on you! i like it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The top is adorable! And it really makes the outfit work, so glad you found a pleasant place to shop close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome cover up! I've definitely gained a new appreciation for open weave knits. I also have issues with spaghetti straps and broad shoulders, I like vests a lot for covering them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the punchy citrus palette you've created here - it couldn't be any better suited to July's sizzling sunshine. The crochet top was the perfect addition, it really balances out the more revealing cut of the dress, while still leaving plenty of skin exposed.

    I've been meaning to mention - you have fantastic legs. Ugghh, what I wouldn't give to look half that good from the waist down in shorter garments.

    Have an awesome Friday & weekend, stylish Ally!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  17. ALWAYS love the stories surrounding your clothes ... so glad that the staff were friendly ... I think that if you are getting paid to do a job then do it well!!!

    Love the top ... the colour suits you perfectly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love the ruffled skirt. these colours are ones i usually shy away from. my complexion just doesn't work with them but they look fab on you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cute top - don't feel bad I never get friendly sales people either, so i'm use to it too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know you have issues finding shoes, but I saw the outfit and went: Oh man! Ally totally needs a pair of wedge espadrilles! I can totally see her walking along a boardwalk at a beach in this one summer day! I love your play with colour in it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. you can fit into tween clothes?!?! I couldn't even fit into tween clothes when I WAS a tween! Me = jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I often feel like standing and bashing my head against a wall with the bad service. Not that it makes your experience better, but sometimes I think its only in Africa that the service is disgusting.

    Cute crazy outfit gal friend ... I like the top.

    Happy weekend, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  23. btw - I think a pair of open flat sandals with a little bling on them would look cute with this outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very cute. Great job putting this together. I'm glad you found an unexpected shop to frequent.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey,
    Nice post..
    Would you like to follow each other..!!
    Keep in touch,
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love that lime green top, so cute ! I love it when salespeople are friendly. Sadly, it's a rare thing nowadays...usually we all are in a hurry and people do not pay us much attention ! Hugs

    Fashion and Cookies
    Fashion and Cookies on Facebook
    Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  27. You look like a cute little sherbet cupcake and it is fantastic! Summer chic and the blouse you found is perfect to create a feminine shape on your upper body. Love the lime color. Couldn't help but prance in this! Love!
    -Jamie
    ChatterBlossom

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oooh, I do love this. Colour is always a winner! I also love your portrait shot here. Yes, finding friendly sales people can be a challenge, but what a difference they make.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Peachy ruffles! Are you getting younger? You look like you're getting younger. I want your secret(s). Now.

    Sales peeps should always be nice to anyone that comes in the store, because without customers there would be no store and no job. In San Fran stores, there was always at least one man buying women's clothes for him or herself. No one bats an eye. Men shopping the dress racks at thrift stores was quite common.

    Maybe the dress could be worn with a cute cardi?

    Love ya,
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete