Saturday, September 14, 2024

Ancient Egypt

There are many projects I've wanted to pursue in my life. For decades, however, I was prevented from diving into them due to an exhausting job. Now, with time and energy, I'm happily embracing these endeavors.

I just completed a lengthy study of ancient Egypt: its history, art, culture and monumental achievements. Everyone knows of the pyramids but how many of us know who built them? Instead of cramming our heads with frivolous details about the Kardashians we should focus instead on true giants like Pharaohs Sneferu, Khufu and Menkaure. Ancient Egypt developed a sophisticated civilization that lasted over 3,000 years. It warrants attention.

Modern interest in this society began two centuries ago. Europeans got excited over studying ancient Egypt in the early 1800s; it even reached a point called "Egyptomania." That fervor accelerated 200 years ago when an ingenious French scholar (Jean-François Champollion) figured out how to decipher ancient hieroglyphs. His "eureka" moment in that quest happened this very day (September 14th) 202 years ago. That key unlocked voluminous knowledge on Egypt's history and culture since now we can read the many texts carved into stone throughout the region.

It's never too late to tackle a subject and learn something. In fact, acquiring knowledge later in life is especially sweet because you can place it in clearer context and relate the information to other stuff you know.

12 comments:

  1. A fantastic and lengthy subject! I've gone through many Egyptomania phases, and loved binging documentaries on ancient Egypt growing up. It helps that there is so much first hand information intact. Please share with us your favorite information you learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An amazing and lengthy history too. If you ever get chance to visit, the tombs are so well preserved and the artwork is stunning.

    From a modern view, given the ruse of Egyptmania again in the 20s, you can see the influence of the ancient artwork in really twentieth century designs.

    FWIW, I found the Egyptian religion quite fascinating too. Given that's is a pantheon.

    "...figured out how to decipher ancient hieroglyphs..."

    The discovery of the Rosetta Stone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The discovery of the Rosetta Stone was essential but not sufficient. Scholars around the world spent a decade looking at the stone but were still perplexed. The difficulty was that although three languages were stated side-by-side, figuring out hieroglyphs was extremely challenging because one needed to learn another language that intermediated it and those languages (Coptic) and that language was "dead." The story is fascinating and complex.

      Delete
  3. Egyptology is a great study to make! I've not studied it but I've read some lovely children's novels set in Egypt (in fact, one last week!). The Sir John Soane museum in London has some great artefacts as does the British Museum!
    I forgot that the ability to read Hieroglyphics was relatively recent! Do share some other things, I like your insights!x
    P.S I posted a 'maths' post last week which I am SURE you can contribute something witty to if you felt like you were able! I thought of you when I published it!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've all had glancing looks at ancient Egypt. I figured, at 66, it was time for me to study the subject more closely. And I'm so glad I am. Not only is ancient Egypt fascinating but it illuminates more modern history like the last 200 years when countries like yours and France battled over the Rosetta Stone, artifacts and knowledge. I didn't know about the British taking the Rosetta Stone away from the French who discovered it and putting it in the British Museum as a war plunder. The British King at the time even carved his name on the ancient stone to declare his "ownership."

      Thanks for alerting me to your post: I'm heading there now.

      Delete
  4. Ancient Egypt has always fascinated me- I used to check out endless books from my hometown library as a kid reading up on it. I love this journey for you!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm finding it even more fun than I expected. Glad you share enthusiasm for the subject.

      Delete
  5. LOVE ancient Egypt - I would have lingered in that section of the MMA for an entire day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it fascinating how many people share this enthusiasm. Thanks for reporting yours.

      Delete