Thursday, January 25, 2024

Ways To Make Money


It's definitely weird how you can work hard for money (as I was taught and did for four decades) or make the same amount doing nothing. 

My biggest stock holding is Netflix. I've mentioned the company many times here since buying a chunk a decade ago. I identified it then as potentially a leader in streaming which I also foresaw as disrupting broadcast and cable. Netflix became that leader and streaming now eclipses other means of distributing entertainment.

When Netflix releases its quarterly reports, the stock jumps. Usually up, sometimes down, always a lot. Tuesday's positive 4th quarter report caused my stock to surge over 10% which is a lot for non-crypto stock. And it did that in a day. 

So... I earned as much yesterday as I used to earn in a year toiling at my job. That's fortunate but it just feels weird. My parents would never understand this.

6 comments:

  1. I don't quite understand stocks and shares. Do you get profits on them when they go up not just when you sell them? Is that what you mean? In which case, your foresight has been deservedly rewarded! I find it hard to fathom too as someone who doesn't really have any shares. My mum has some shares from my Grandad in Cadbury's-Schweppes (which i think is now owned by Kraft) but I'm not sure what they are worth!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey pal. You take your profit when you sell; until then it's "unrealized gain." Your family should check on that Cadbury stock: it could be worth something. Stock ownership doesn't disappear even if companies are sold.

      Delete
  2. This is very interesting since I just read that many if not all of the streaming platforms are going to more ad based versions AND raising their prices. Looks like we're back to cable folks. On the up side, I'm delighted for you.

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, buddy. Streaming isn't great but it'll sort itself out soon. Instead of paying for many, customers will narrow down to only 1-3. That's what I do. (Netflix and Prime)

      Delete
  3. Well done for seeing Netflix's potential! xxx

    ReplyDelete