Wednesday, January 31, 2024

"The Sopranos"

"The Sopranos," considered by many to be one of the best television shows ever made is celebrating its 25th anniversary. The (surviving) cast and crew met in an Italian restaurant in Little Italy recently for drinks and dinner. The restaurant served "Carmela's Baked Ziti."

When the show was first broadcast, I watched every episode. I later bought a boxed set of DVDs and we're working our way through it again. The show holds up.

This is a hill I will die on -- Tony Soprano was the most fascinating character in TV history. Superbly portrayed by James Gandolfini, Tony contained the full range of human emotions and had real gravitas. Or, as the kids say today, rizz. Incredible writing filled Tony with unexpected dimension and Gandolfini's consummate skill conveys it through his face and body. Never has an actor been so perfect for a role.

I've mentioned this before but it's so significant I'll repeat it: one of the highlights of my life was seeing James Gandolfini, after the show ended, perform live on Broadway. I got second row seats and we were only ten feet away from this acting giant. He loved the role (and had a big hand in producing the play, an import from England). Seeing him happy was deeply joyful, especially in light of his later premature end.

12 comments:

  1. Hard to believe The Sopranos is celebrating its 25th Anniversary! It must have been amazing seeing James Gandolfini from only 10 feet away! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was that The God's of Carnage? We saw that as well in NYC and loved him in it! I agree...the Sopranos was excellent. I haven't rewatched it yet but I know Robert wants to. I have watched MadMen 3 times and will probably do it again. As far as writing goes Madmen and Breaking Bad are my top two but the Sopranos come in a close third.

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was! I can't believe you went to the show. Perhaps we were there the same night! I'm also a big fan of "Mad Men."

      Delete
  3. Have you watched Nurse Jackie? It stars Carmela (Tony's wife) and is also very good.

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I saw every episode. LOVE Edie Falco. She grew up in the town next to mine on Long Island (Northport).

      Delete
  4. I loved the show overall - Hated the ending. there should have been closure like "Breaking Bad".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most controversial and confusing ending of all time. Some viewers thought their cable had gone out!

      Delete
  5. 25 years already?! Time does fly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your favorite TV shows are old, chances are so are you. :)

      Delete
  6. I've never seen it! Maybe I should give it a go as I love your recs usually! Kezzie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recommendation/warning: You, as I, will love the depiction of Tony's examination of his life and psychological problems but... in later parts of the show the violence gets a bit much and may exceed your tolerance. The violence is never gratuitous and always integral to the story but, still, sometimes too much for some people. A sensitive soul, you may be among them.

      Delete
  7. I cannot believe it's been 25 years! I never watched this show but my dad loved it.

    ReplyDelete