Thursday, October 19, 2023

Money and Bathrooms

As hard as my life is now, I'm hanging on -- and seeing improvement. Last night, for example, I had dinner with friends at my favorite restaurant (Sandbar in Cold Spring Harbor). During the three-hour meal, I made $52,000. Really!

One of my larger stock-holdings is Netflix (NFLX). The company released third-quarter earnings at 6 pm and instantly soared 12%. Between appetizers and dessert I made a tidy profit.

Dinner was delightful and our conversation was charming. The only downside was midway through the meal when I needed to use the  bathroom. Eager to display my new independence I declined assistance and ventured off by myself. The restaurant was dark; my vision is only half as bright as it used to be and I wandered, wandered, wandered. Eventually I asked staff and they pointed in directions but that didn't help; I couldn't see the door even when standing in front of it. During my expedition I visited the restaurant's basement and didn't find a restroom there either. 

As tough as this was it was still better than my experience at the Rock (the arena where the Devils play). My friend Charlie led me to the bathroom entrance and I went inside. After doing my business I looked for a way out and couldn't find one. I couldn't see any opening in the white walls and circled around and around inside the large room. Eventually Charlie realized something was wrong, came in and rescued me. 

I want to be as self-sufficient as before but impaired vision presents some obstacles. At least I'm trying -- and making money while I eat. 

11 comments:

  1. That is definitely an evening of both highs and lows. I'm sure it's going to take time to adjust.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ally, it might be worthwhile to let these businesses know that they could improve their accessibility for the vision-impaired - it might not even have occurred to them that blind or impaired (or even someone on the autism spectrum) might have trouble seeing boundaries on same-coloured walls. Businesses WANT to know these things (it makes them look good) - my work covers stuff like this.

    Sorry you had such a crazy wander, but woo! on those profits! I bet you got in on Netflix early, you smart cookie. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right and that hadn't occurred to me. The problem (of finding the door when it blends into the wall) could easily be fixed with color paint. Maybe I'll mention it to them; I know the owner casually. And yes I bought NFLX stock before streaming became the wave of the future. I follow media and entertainment industries and predicted this development. I bought stock at $55/share and now it's blasting past $400.

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Megan. It's interesting and true that this issue extends beyond me personally. I appreciate you and Sheila pointing that out to me. My focus has been too limited. Of course businesses should be accessible to all, including the handicapped.

    Yes, I'm careful with money because it represents my hard work to obtain it. Plus, in my twenties, I invested in the stock market, lost 80% and learned from that painful loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on making a tidy profit, Ally!
    I'm seconding Sheila's remark on it being worthwhile to let businesses know so that they can make the necessary improvements. That must have been a scary experience! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly it was. Like a nightmare where you can't find a way out. I've learned (from riding motorcycles at high speed) not to panic is scary situations but I still feel the fear.

      Delete
  5. Well done on the profit! You are a wise investor as you've shown before- Bitcoin etc.
    Ahgh, they really need to work on making things easier for those with visual impairments- I agree on what Sheila and Ann said! It's hard enough finding the restrooms with full vision sometimes, let alone without! I don't like the idea of feeling totally stuck- thank goodness you had friends at the game to help you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The U.S. actually has a law requiring businesses to make things accessible to the handicapped but companies have resisted complying with it. Multiple lawsuits seeking to force compliance have been made and won but still companies don't want to spend any money to make life easier for us. *sigh*

      Delete
  6. Oh boy. Being trapped inside a public bathroom sounds a bit like a horror film! I'm glad that your friend was able to rescue from the stadium bathroom. The restaurant bathroom adventure sounded awful. I can't imagine how frustrating that must have been. Maybe that is when one of those hiking headlamps would be useful.

    Kudos on the Netflix stocks. I had heard those were tanking so they must have really recovered.

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought one of those hiking headlamps! Only I didn't take it with me to the hockey game; didn't anticipate needing it there. I use it at home when I need more light. I look like a coal-miner. :)

      Delete