Thursday, October 5, 2023

A New Hockey Season

I'm back, baby!

Last night my friend Charlie and I traveled to New Jersey and watched the NJ Devils beat the NY Rangers 5-2 in an exciting game. The Devils skated fast and sharp; the Rangers less so. A new hockey season is starting and, after last year's breakout success, the Devils are serious contenders. They've won all of their first six games so far. Plus, there's nobody else to root for in New York sports right now -- the Mets and Yankees failed to made the baseball playoffs; the Jets and Giants in football look awful.

Honestly I was unsure what it'd be like to watch hockey with my new visual impairments. Fortunately none of them interfered. And it was thrilling to join 18,000 other people and jump up when the Devils scored. The atmosphere at the Rock was electric with gleeful fans, colorful lights and blaring sounds. Charlie helped me safely navigate the crowd and we had fun. 

A few months ago I worried this type of experience was lost to me. But it's not; it's just harder. Rewards make the effort worthwhile.


6 comments:

  1. Hooray!! I'm so glad you were able to enjoy and experience the game. I know it's been a big source of enjoyment for you even before illness.

    I think some people who don't enjoy sports sometimes miss out on why going to games is enjoyable. It's similar to the feeling of going to a concert. It's the sense of community and euphoria of group events.

    I'm glad you renewed and keep going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And yes, you're right. I once took a girlfriend to a Devils game and she'd never seen pro sports in person. Her reaction was amazement at the feeling of community there.

      Delete
  2. So happy you were able to enjoy this. The excitement when your team wins is electric!


    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy you were able to enjoy this and be exhilarated by the experience! xx

    ReplyDelete