Thursday, May 4, 2023

Living

Sage minds of the past figured out something fundamental we often lose sight of in our world of modern distractions.
Two centuries ago Emily Dickinson advised: "Find ecstasy in life; the mere sense of living is joy enough." A hundred years earlier Jonathan Swift wrote: "May you live every day of your life."
Today is an opportunity, a gift. Treat it with mindfulness and gratitude.


There's an instructive story behind this picture. I took it at the site of the former World's Fair in Queens, NY a few years ago. I was using one of my vintage cameras for the first time. Looking for the best angle I walked around and around the Unisphere, staring at it from every perspective. Intently focused on that singular task I failed to see a crack in the pavement that caught my foot. I tumbled hard and tore skin off my left knee and hands. The camera flew 10 feet away. The place was empty so there was nobody around to help me. I just laid on the cold ground for a while, bleeding and trying to manage considerable pain.
The morale of the story is -- take a wide view of your life. Don't focus too intensely on one thing and miss other stuff around you.


8 comments:

  1. One of my favourite lines from a song: "Maybe time running out is a gift."

    Every day could be the last - enjoy it, stop, and look around.

    PS - I tripped and fell right in front of Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, in front of THOUSANDS of people. No one said anything! 99% of people are in their own heads. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful way to look at life- and I love how you take all the lessons (even painful, scraped-knee ones!) and turn the into wisdom!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. If we don't learn from experience, what's the point of it?

      Delete
  3. Wise words, Ally! Sometimes we all need a reminder to live life to the full and stop focusing on the small stuff! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Minutiae consume us sometimes but they don't matter! Other things matter more! A lovely way to look at it Ally!
    xx

    ReplyDelete