Sunday, July 27, 2014

Blogger Meetup

There's no better way to spend a nice Sunday in Summer than meeting a blogger-friend in person for the first time.  That's what I did today.

I've known Michi for years, but only online.  She lives in New York but is reclusive and hard to draw out into the open.  Like a skittish doe, Michi fears hunters who want to shoot and mount her head on their wall.  I was carefully slow in approaching her; I didn't break any twigs or make loud noises.  I held out my hand with a treat and she cautiously nibbled on it.

Seriously, what attracts me to Michi is her exceptional artistic talent.  She draws, she photographs and she creates art.  I bought a beautiful fashion illustration of hers early on and she later gave me a second one as a birthday gift (shown at left).  For anyone in the New York area, Michi is currently doing boudoir photography.

We met and spent time at a lovely tea parlor in the West Village of New York City.  The perfect setting for a relaxing, wide-ranging chat.  Discretion prohibits me from disclosing its content but I found Michi as charming IRL as she is online.  In fact, she exceeded my expectations by a wide margin.  Michi possess intelligence not only of the cognitive kind but also of the emotional kind.  She perceives the world in much the same way I do.

I was pleasantly surprised at our conversation which included Michi asking me probing, insightful questions.  Her questions forced me to think about important subjects and confront illogic in my head.  It's a rare friend who can help you improve this way.  I appreciated it and enjoyed her company immensely.

Michi prides herself on wearing only black.  While you might think that's limiting, it isn't when you have as much style in your pores as she has.  For example, who wouldn't want to look this good?!


30 comments:

  1. That illustration is so spot on! Michi is the best--so talented and gorgeous. A rare breed.

    XxMO
    madame-ostrich.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your name came up in our conversation today!

      Delete
  2. What awesome, dramatic style she has! No wonder you found her inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How Exciting!! not only for you, but for Michi as well. I personally believe a major problem is that online has caused is it created a society where we fear to see each other face to face, that we have spent all this time creating "characters" and fail to meet the people behind that face. I am so glad you had the opportunity to talk and go out, I do believe it probably was a good thing for Michi too....
    She has a very talented artistic style to her drawing, thank you for sharing your gift with us...I am a little confused is the picture that you posted of michi, or is it a model that michi took? Either way, that is a great shot...

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, the photos looks absolutely amazing. great posing and facial expression

    www.thefashionfraction.com
    www.thefashionfraction.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's really lovely. Love her look. So stylish!

    Jasmine x
    For a Real Woman
    So easy Spanish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a babe!

    So cool that she is an illustrator as well.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're hilarious. So glad you two hit it off so well IRL!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet write-up, thank you ! Although many may not realize it, your little story isn't too far from the truth. Hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you have a sense of humor, buddy. On top of all your other wonderful traits.

      Delete
  9. Sexy babe! I'm a wee bit jealous Ally - I'd love to meet you in person. No, I'm changing that and am making it an affirmation:

    Ally dear, I will be meeting you in person in the very near future.

    Hugs
    W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One way or another, we're gonna get together. I love you!

      Delete
    2. You guys... I miss you both! Wish I could come! - Don't forget I lurk around internet waters too! And hey, a blogger meeting in Greece would be nice, right?? Hugs & kisses :)

      Delete
    3. Greece sounds great! You can show us around.

      Delete
  10. WOW! you are the blogger who I follow who's had the most meet ups :)
    I think you're breaking a Guiness record ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm doing another one next weekend! Riding my motorcycle up to Waterford to meet Aimee (Just Another Crafting Blog). You can't have too many friends!

      Delete
  11. I wanna look that good! And, honey, next time I'm in New York we've got a date.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you two got to meet in real life! She is a beauty...a true throwback to the mid-century beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the illustration she did of you! You should print that out and frame it :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow...she is gorgeous! Her art is fabulous, too. Now I'm wondering what she asked you...she seems like a lovely person inside (and obviously outside too!).

    Aren't blogger meetups fun? Glad you met her <3

    xo Azu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michi is the best. Everything about her is wonderful. I'm very grateful to have met her.

      We spoke about my transgender nature and how it permeates my life. I always wish people would show interest in that subject so I could talk about it more, but they don't.

      Delete
  15. She's beautiful. Please post a link to her blog or website so we can check it out!

    Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I left it out -- http://delphinaluxe.com/

      Delete
  16. She looks amazing! And I'm glad your meet up went well. I know I'm hard to get out of the house for anything other than work or food.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the picture! Sounds like a great day. I absolutely love going to tea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the portrait and your friend is lovely.

    ReplyDelete