Thursday, August 29, 2024

My Pollyanna Nature

Yesterday I had a mishap in the street and suffered excruciating pain. Last night, mentally processing the event, my attitude changed: I became grateful at what happened. My innate Pollyanna nature kicked in. If you're curious about this mystery, read on.

Some context is necessary. I can see but have drastic limitations. For example I have no peripheral vision. If I look straight ahead I can't see what's below on the ground. 

I also have high metabolism. Living in New York accelerate that trait. I walk fast, talk fast and drove fast. After my vision loss I deliberately slowed down my pace which is helpful: it gives me more time to avoid trouble.

When I'm in public by myself I walk slowly and scan the ground for obstacles. Usually that works. Mishaps I've had have something in common: they occur when I'm hurrying. When rushing my eyes move up to see where I'm going. Unfortunately that means they aren't seeing what's on the ground. My vision doesn't include both views.

Yesterday I was walking home from Starbucks on a busy commercial road. I was crossing an intersection with no traffic signal. Halfway across a car came speeding around the corner, driving very fast. I hurried to get out of its way. I made to the other side -- but didn't notice a curb there. Moving at a runner's pace, my foot hit the curb and my entire body went airborne. Literally. Flying through the air I had enough time to think, "Well, this is new. I've never experienced this before. I wonder what will happen next?" Then, BAM! My body crashed to the ground. It felt like I'd fallen out of a plane. I landed on my hands and knees with such force it was like having a heavy person strapped to my back instead of a 20 lb. backpack.

The impact stunned me. I landed on very rough concrete so my palms and knees were ripped and bloody. My body swelled up instantly and I couldn't move. I laid on the ground for 10-15 minutes before I could move anything. In addition to pain I noticed my right arm is badly sprained; I can't rotate it.

During the time I writhed in pain on a busy street you may wonder if anyone stopped to help. No, they did not. There is no community left in modern America. Dozens of cars passed by without assisting. I finally summoned my strength, got up and staggered a half-mile home. Bleeding and worried about my arm.

Later in the day I thought about the incident and my mood shifted. I became grateful. Why? I'm glad the fall didn't injure me worse.

Every day I do pushups, planks and lift free weights. My arms and upper torso are strong, especially for my age. When I hit the ground it was like doing a massive pushup: my body moved downward while my arms and chest pushed upward. It was instinct to protect my head. Fortunately no part of my head hit the ground. If I didn't have upper-body strength my head would have smacked into the concrete, causing at least a concussion and bloody facial wounds. And possibly worse. 

Two years ago a friend and I were walking in Savannah when we saw an elderly woman trip and fall. She hit her head on the sidewalk and was dazed and bleeding. We rushed to her aid. I used my handkerchief to stop the bleeding. We tried to calm her but she was so dazed as to be incoherent. Obviously she was badly injured from the head-blow. A few minutes later her adult-daughter came running up and took over. She assured us they would be fine as she helped her mother stagger home. She declined our repeated offers for more assistance.

My perspective on yesterday is that my diminished vision may make mishaps possible but my overall good health will enable me to survive them. These injuries will heal and I'll get back to normal life. Normal for me, that is. :)

16 comments:

  1. Wishing you a quick recovery. You always inspire me to be a better person, but please, you don't need to hurt yourself for my sake! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was very lucky that you weren't seriously hurt. I'm very saddened to learn that no one stopped to help you. Mankind is failing. It's good that you have the ability to adjust your perspective on the incident. I'm not sure I would be able to do the same. Especially after being ignored by so many other people. I hope you have a quick recovery.

    Big hugs,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, pal. I appreciate them.

      When it comes to receiving things from others (e.g., kindness, intelligence, generosity) I learned early in life not to expect much. Most people choose to be selfish, stupid and greedy. I don't like that but find it empirically true. Not expecting much from them dampens the disappointment we feel when being ignored or mistreated. It's also why I value and cherish the rare few -- like you -- who behave differently. Hugs.

      Delete
  3. I'm very glad you didn't hit your head (for numerous reasons!) But I'm also very sorry for your fall in the first place. Falling as a kid or even teen is one thing, but as adults we have fewer opportunities to have a big fall. And for good reason, ouch!!

    I'm also sorry no one stopped to help. I hope you got yourself looked at and iced/used heat on what you could. I have to say, you're still incredibly strong and brave to put yourself out on the stroads (street-roads: busy but walkable roads).

    I hope you take care and heal quickly. Whether your body moves fast or slow, your brain is a lightning fast motorcycle in sky high pumps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That last mixed metaphor is delightful! This is why I'm friends with geniuses like you. :)

      Delete
  4. Hope you recover quickly with nothing more than a bruised ego - if that. Bipedal walking - running even more so - is a continual state of arrested falling. Sometimes we don't arrest in time.
    My partner has the same sight issues with little or no peripheral vision or depth perception and has taken tumbles in the street more than once because of missing a step or kerb edge and arrived home covered in scrapes and bruises. I've done the same thing running for a bus and missing the edge of the kerb and ending sprawled in the road. Just one old lady asked if I was alright. Most people just stared or looked away.
    Nowadays bystanders would be too busy trying to record it on their phones and upload it to offer to help.
    I made myself a promise life was too short to run for buses, but broke it within the fortnight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sympathy and stories. You're right about us making commitments and then breaking them almost immediately. I keep telling myself NOT to hurry and yet, in the moment, I can't seem to adhere to that wisdom. Ah, human life...

      Delete
  5. OMG, Ally! I'm glad you are (relatively) all right! I had a tumble on Tuesday - and like you, I'm glad I do core, balance and upper-body exercises so that I didn't fully splat. It's sad that no one stopped to see how you were...

    Sending you good healing vibes, honey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sympathies to you, too, Sheila foryour fall. Mishaps bedevil all of us, especially as we age. The best we can do is what you and I are doing: stay as strong as we can to avoid more serious injury.

      Delete
  6. Although I'm glad you didn't sustain any more serious injuries, it truly boggles my mind that nobody stopped and helped you!
    That said, I'm admiring your positive attitude and I'm sending more positive vibes your way to help along your healing process! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann. I appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  7. Oh, that's awful: that the car didn't slow, that you fell, and no-one stopped to help you.

    I hope you're feeling better given your injuries. Please, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Ally, I winced and felt your impact from your very evocative description! So sorry you had this nasty fall but yes, as you say, it could have been much worse. Still, it sounds nasty anyway and very sad that no one helped you!
    I was really cross a while back as I was at King's Cross station and there was this man doing some sort of public talk whilst a man appeared to be having some sort of drunken fit. People were around listening and laughing. I was really worried about him and asked the man talking if anyone had checked on him and knew if he was ok? He told me to ask him myself. I went up to the man on the ground and asked if he was ok and he immediately said he was fine and stopped having his 'fit.' All these people were filming and laughed at me. I was really cross and told them they ought to be ashamed of themselves for mocking and told them it was not funny and they shouldn't be doing something like that. I'm not ashamed I asked if he was ok though.
    CBC had a fall on his bike last Sunday and he has broken a couple of ribs and is feeling very sorry for himself as he can't sleep lying down. I was just grateful that he didn't hurt his head and he can still function, even if it's hard and painful!
    Hope you heal quickly. Try rubbing arnica gel into your bruising and lavender oil is good for scarring.
    Sending you hugs.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! Sor sorry to hear about CBC. I feel his pain. Give him a GENTLE hug from me. And your kind instinct to help others is what separates you from the insensitive jerks of the world. Proof why you're special and deserve to be cherished.

      Delete