Monday, July 29, 2024

Walking Around

My "new normal" would seem, to most people, pretty abnormal. But it's the best I can do.

I refuse to give up freedom of movement so I've learned how to walk in all kinds of areas, including those congested with cars and pedestrians. The biggest perils are ironically inanimate objects. I often don't see them and, when we "meet", the encounter is bruising.

So far I've walked into store displays, fire hydrants, telephone poles, brick walls, traffic signs, door jams and interior building poles. Not knowing whether the thing I hit is human or not I reflexively apologize. I've said I'm sorry to more inanimate objects than you'd believe. 

Last week I was standing in line at the bank when something furry rubbed against my leg. I was wearing shorts. I glanced down but couldn't tell what was there. (One of my visual impairments is darkness so inside space is almost totally black to me.) I hope I was brushed by a dog but it could have been a hairy toddler. We'll never know.

As they used to say on Hill Street Blues, "Hey, let's be careful out there."

11 comments:

  1. Lol at the possible "hairy toddler"! With all that apologizing, your Canadian cred is growing - you'll be one of us soon. ;-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Very true. Life started me as an American but fate is slowly turning me into a Canadian.

      Delete
  2. Hahaha. I'd prefer the dog over a hairy toddler any day. I hope you're wearing shin and elbow pads while brandishing that white cane.

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good idea! I never thought of that. Perhaps I can dress like a hockey goalie. :)

      Delete
  3. When my cousin was little, she wasn't the most graceful. We were in a restaurant with my aunt and her boyfriend at the time, and my younger cousin smacked hard into a chair and began crying. My aunt's boyfriend hadn't dealt much with children decided to do his best and started berating the chair for "running into" my cousin. It tickled her so much, she started laughing through her tears

    Personally I think apologizing will help you when the chair overlords come for us all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or, even sooner, when we learn inanimate objects actually have souls. :)

    My hapless brother was once driving and hit a tree. He strenuously argued to my parents that the accident was the tree's fault.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! My dad once hit a tree in my grandparents back yard. They thought it was dead and it shot up very tall after it got hit with a car. I don't think the car fared as well.

      Delete
  5. How do you feel about using a walking stick or cane? Do you think it could prove helpful or make you more comfortable when walking? Sorry, I'm kind of offering unsolicited advice here, but it's just occurred to me that it could perhaps help. If people knew that you cannot see well or clearly, they would know to get out of the way. It could save you some apologizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions, Ivana. I started using a white cane a month ago and love it. The cane signals to others that I'm visually impaired so they give me more space. I needed some kind of sign and this works.

      Delete
  6. It was A BEAR!!!! A BEAR ON THE LOOSE!!! You dallied with a bear Ally!!! BeWARE!!! Kezzie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha! It's possible! You crack me up, Kezzie. :)

    ReplyDelete