Sunday, July 21, 2024

My New Retreat

One antidote to life's uncertainty is our ability to adapt. Adjusting to new conditions is a strength we can develop and it becomes helpful when crap occurs.

I recently faced an unexpected situation. Pondering it I discovered a solution and improved my life. Yay!

Three years ago, when my future looked different, I asked a friend to build me a garage. (He's a contractor.) I wanted a basic wooden box to shelter as many of my growing fleet of motor vehicles as could be stuffed in it. The garage took over a year to complete but is very nice (and legal). I stored five of my six vehicles there: all four motorcycles and the newer of my two cars.

Today, however, life is not the same. I found new homes for both cars and two of the motorcycles. (I'm keeping the other two bikes for sentimental reasons.) I no longer need a garage -- yet it's sitting there, begging for some use.

I didn't know what to do with the structure. I didn't want to spend more money. I thought about what I lack -- e.g., an outdoor patio -- and suddenly realized the garage could easily adapt to serve that purpose. Like ancient Greek scholar Archimedes I shouted "Eureka!"

Last week I converted the storage space into an outdoor retreat for meditation and music appreciation. And I spent only $70 to do that. 

I bought a cheap -- but very chic -- waterproof rug ($40) and two clamp-lights shining 300 watts of illumination ($30). I already own two patio chaise lounges with matching pads and small metal tables. They create comfortable seating on the 10-foot x 12-foot rug. I also already have a large photoshoot backdrop system which now works as a privacy screen; the garage door can be left open for ventilation without anyone being able to peek inside.

I'm lovin' this. I wake up at 3:00 a.m. (don't ask) and enjoy sipping cups of warm tea while listening to birds singing and insects chirping. I plan my day, organize thoughts and reflect on life while the rest of you sleep. The outdoor air is invigorating.

Later in the day this retreat offers shade from direct sunlight. I go there and can crank up tunes louder than inside our house (where Robin works remotely). My current musical favorites are The Allman Brothers Band ("Live From Filmore East") and classical pianist Yuja Wang. 

The second chaise lounge is empty if you want to drop by. Don't let a sign over the door scare you: 
Hic Sunt Dracones 
(Latin: "Here There Be Dragons").

12 comments:

  1. "....enjoy sipping cups of warm tea while listening to birds singing and insects chirping."

    A beautiful start to the day. I think it's a gift to be so close to nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. My house, despite being in suburbia, is surrounded by animals and nature.

      Delete
  2. I love that you have this special personal space to yourself, Ally (and especially that you can blast some tunes in it). I'll be thinking of you when I'm waking up at 3am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I appreciate your peppy spirit. :)

      Delete
  3. What a great idea, Ally! I wish I could drop by! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someday you will, Ann! After I settle my finances I'm going to invite my best friends to visit ALL EXPENSES PAID.

      Delete
  4. I coulda sworn I left a comment. Anyway congrats on the new conversion and utilizing the space as an oasis! Time is an illusion Anyway. Enjoy the wee hours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds wonderful! If I ever get the chance to visit the US, I will be sure to make a trip to New York state to visit you!! I know you said don't ask but I'm intrigued about 3am. Hope all is ok. Kezzie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you visit, too! The early rising is of unknown cause. It may be related to my eyes or may be just an aging problem. I read yesterday that over half of people over 60 don't sleep well due to decreases in production of various bodily substances like hormones.

      Delete
    2. My mum struggles to sleep. I already don't get enough sleep sp hope this doesn't happen to me! Try listening to Columba Aspexit by Hildegard von Bingen. I had a pupil who couldn't sleep and she tried listening to this after my music class anf finding it very soothing. She said it really helped her! I'm hoping her Muslim family didn't mind too much...

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the suggestion, pal. You're so sweet!

      Delete