Monday, May 20, 2024

"Furiosa"

Long before they became popular I was a fan of post-apocalyptic dramas. Like the terrific, overlooked "The Blood of Heroes" (1989). Such films explore human behavior when the comforts of modern life disappear. Given the direction we're heading in, that may be useful information.

In the 1970s I got hooked on the work of George Miller, a vigorous Australian who made several "Mad Max" movies. Miller creates futuristic worlds with vivid imagination and uses real-world stunts, not computer gimmickry. I'll admit to having at least one nightmare after viewing his films.

"Mad Max: Fury Road" (2015) proved Miller still has mojo. At advanced age (70) he revived the franchise with Charlize Theron delivering a powerful performance. A pre-quel to that film is coming out this week telling the origin story of Theron's character "Furiosa" (2024). It stars Anya Taylor-Joy, whom you admired in "The Queen's Gambit" (2020), and Chris Hemsworth.

These films aren't Robin's cup of tea. Who wants to go with me?

9 comments:

  1. Have fun watching the movie. I usually don't watch sequels. The original Mad Max was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'll enjoy the film, the reviews are pretty good. I enjoyed the Fury road and I like the character of Furiosa. However, I think the original Mad Max films are still my favourite.
    I like apocalyptic films and have always been fun of the dystopian genre in general.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in! I can't wait to see "Furiosa"!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I'll fly to Vancouver Island. Pick a theater. :)

      Delete
  4. I loved Fury Road. I hope he can match the intensity with Furiosa.

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a differing relationship with Dystopian fiction (I read more than watch). I find it extremely compelling to read but it also fills me with a sense of desolation and misery. I think the best I've read is the Arc of a Scythe trilogy by Neal Shustermann and his Unwind series (in that they end with a real sense of hope. I bought them brand new) and I was really depressed by the Maze Runner series.
    Confession: I've not seen ANY of the Mad Max series. I didn't even know what they are about. Maybe I should try one?
    Kezzie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand your reaction to these types of films and feel it myself. Watching possible alternatives is a way for some to deal with the fear and anxiety of bad futures. I need to caution you about Mad Max films: they are violent, perhaps too much for you. Don't watch them unless you're in the right mood and feel free to stop watching if the violence gets too upsetting.

      Delete
  6. I loved the last one. I am looking forward to seeing this one for sure. I'll probably have to wait for streaming but who knows.

    I'm still working my way to rewatching Dune to watch part 2.

    ReplyDelete