Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Adding To My Collection

Recently circumstances encouraged me to collect a third artwork by Lino Tagliapietra. Lino, of course, is the premier glassblower of our time. In my opinion, he is our greatest living artist in any medium. 

The work, "Saturno," is inspired by the planet Saturn. Its translucence, detail and exquisite artistry aren't adequately described in words; you need to experience the work in person to appreciate its majesty. Three-dimensional glass art has ineffable qualities that draw you closer, open your mind and touch the heart.

I feel privileged to possess this art for the next few decades.

14 comments:

  1. What an incredible piece. And a perfect addition to your growing collection. It's different from the other pieces you own but harmonious. That delicate ring really shows the magnificent craftsmanship of a glassmaker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megan. You're perfectly right about the diversity in my collection: it's intentional. I could have but didn't want to get a similar shape to my other two pieces. This one "rounds out" the collection (pun intended!).

      Delete
  2. They are both beautiful, this one and the one in your previous post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this gorgeous piece of art, Ally! The colour, the striping of the "planet", the delicate rings. I'm such a klutz - I could never be permitted anywhere near this or your other lovely piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And no problem with your klutziness: my glass art will be displayed on stable pedestals just beyond arm's reach to prevent any viewer from accidentally knocking them over.

      Delete
  4. I love this! And what I like even more are the reflections!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Glass as a material has innumerable, ineffable qualities that make it seem magical. Almost like, if you're open to the idea, portals to other dimensions.

      Delete
  5. What a cool piece!

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're both gorgeous, enjoy!! One day I need a tour of your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is art on another level. Just heavenly and celestial!

    ReplyDelete