Thursday, March 14, 2024

A Chapter Closes


The biggest casualty of my vision's decline was losing the ability to ride motorcycles. As you know that activity was a HUGE part of my life. A passion, even. I rode for 25 years. Motorcycling rescued me from life behind a desk which had grown dull. Riding took me outdoors, added excitement and adventure to my days, and dramatically boosted my morale.

During those years I owned seven bikes. My favorite among them is a speedy rocket, the BMW S1000R. This bike is fast and fun. Capable of hitting 160 mph it offered me thrills on the most ordinary of days. I'd take it out, head for an empty stretch of highway and accelerate faster than I previously thought possible. No one saw my smiles but they fed my soul. They gave me strength.

The bike is relatively new and in mint condition. I considered selling it, which would have been easy given its popularity, but then this week an old friend (Bob) inquired about it. His current bike is too tall for him (he's short) and he wondered if my S1000R fit his stature. 

I invited Bob over this morning and he brought his lovely wife Joan. We had an enjoyable, long brunch in my kitchen with coffee, bagels and fruit. Afterward he sat on the motorcycle and pronounced it perfect. I knew it would fit him given the narrow shape of its seat. 

Before I say what happened next let me preface that by explaining how close a friend Bob is to me. Back when I was first learning how to ride, Bob encouraged and advised me. When I had an accident on the Goethals Bridge he came and helped me bring a damaged bike home. Every Christmas he and Joan invite us over their house for sumptuous dinner with a dozen friends. Bob's a wonderful guy whose generosity improved my life many times.

So, when Bob announced he wanted to buy the bike and brought up the subject of price, I didn't negotiate. I gave him the bike for free. Of course I had to argue with him a bit about taking it but I was firm and he finally relented. 

This is how I roll. Plus I've learned good deeds spread ripples of karma that return to you. I don't know when or how but doing this will benefit me at some future time. And besides it just felt right.

20 comments:

  1. This brought a tear to my eye, Ally - what a thoughtful and generous gift you gave Bob. I totally get that - I'm a giver as well (I've given away thousands of dollars of clothes and shoes over the years).

    One door closes, but another opens...

    Much love to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know your generosity first-hand, Sheila, and it's a reason I try to be a good friend to you. Thanks for the feedback.

      Delete
  2. What a generous person you are Ally! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always ask myself two questions: Can I afford to do this? And then... Why not do it? I look, hard, for opportunities to better the world.

      Delete
  3. I know it'll feel better knowing your bike will be in good hands of a friend versus selling to a stranger, too. You've got good taste and a generous spirit. While we grieve what you lost, you still spread the joy and put more good in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a thoughtful gift! You can continue to enjoy your bike through your friend's experiences.

    A gift from the heart comes with no expectations. You are a shining example of selfless generosity. The Good Karma Fairy is coming for you.

    Hugs,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are an amazing person. My jaw dropped to the floor when I read you gifted your friend the BMW S1000R. I am sorry to hear you won't be doing something that you enjoy and it has been part of your life. Motorcycles saved my life, and I am very impressed by your gesture. You are a good man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, pal. Being generous feels right. I appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  6. May I say what a kind and loving gesture that was? A beautiful moment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't imagine how incredibly hard it is for you to say goodbye to such a significant part of your life. At the very least, you have the wonderful memories and experiences it gave you. And when you have to let go of something so important to you, it makes somehow a little easier when you can pass it on to someone else who will cherish it. You are such a strong and caring person I'm so fortunate to call a friend. I hope that soon you can look back on your motorcycle adventures with nothing but happy nostalgia without the grief of the loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aimee. I'm getting there. As sad as it is not to have a future with motorcycles I can look back on a 25-year love affair. Doing this with my bike caps that passion in the best available way. I appreciate your understanding and compassion.

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness, you are SO generous, Ally! I know it was tough to part ways with your bike, and it's so sad you can't ride anymore- but you're right, the bike is in such good hands with Bob!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is the best way to play a losing hand. No regrets.

      Delete
  9. I'm so glad to hear the bike will be enjoyed by someone who can appreciate it, and that it will be cared for in its second home! Saying goodbye to a beloved item is difficult enough, but perhaps a little easier if you know the new owner is going to get nearly as much joy out of it as you. And that's something money can't buy--or purchase.

    P.S. 160mph?? Damn!

    - Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. And btw I never reached 160 mph. At the racetrack I accelerated up to 140 mph when I ran out of room on the straightaway and had to slow down for an upcoming curve. With more space I could have gotten there. Curiously, human perception warps in weird ways at three-digit speed. Focus narrows and, surprisingly, you feel more stable, not less.

      Delete
  10. Oh Ally, what a wonderful thing to do! Your friend will have really appreciated that and so generous of you considering how much that bike meant/means to you. But that's part of the joy perhaps, knowing that someone you care about is taking care of your baby! I hope the joy comes back to you in a wonderful form but regardless, know that you made someone very happy!x

    ReplyDelete