Saturday, February 17, 2024

An Unexpected Feeling

I have a problem and I don't know how to handle it.


I'm having occasional bouts of euphoria. Moments of extreme elation. Happiness beyond measure. This presents a problem: I'm not familiar with the feeling. Despair, yes; happiness, no.


I spent four decades toiling in the trench of legal combat. I wrestled daily with crippling anxiety. I worried every day about how bad things might get. The reality is they never got very bad but that didn't stop me from worrying about the prospect. I plugged away and plugged away at tedious tasks. A close friend remarked that I possess "an insanely high tolerance for misery and drudgery." Well, I do and it served me in a long career of high-stakes litigation.


Last year, of course, my life really did go south. I lost so much vision that most activities are now beyond me. Not just motorcycling but things as basic as walking in public. I'm safe outside only away from crowds and cars. I take long walks now mostly to prove to myself that I can.


So where's the euphoria coming from? Realization that although my eyesight is very bad, it could be worse. There are days when my vision sucks more than usual. I experience periods of total blindness and physical pain. When, triggered by these experiences, I contemplate being fully blind permanently I become grateful -- ecstatic even -- for the little vision that remains. I can usually see well enough to prepare food, make coffee, clean the kitchen and pay bills. I can see well enough to function in normal life. I can read and write and ponder deep questions. Sure I bump into things but bruises heal. I'm also able to watch the parade of human stupidity pass by on its march to the abyss.


If the ability to do these things disappears I'll be truly crushed. To the depth of my soul crushed. But it hasn't, at least not yet. I'm not confident I'll retain this level of vision for the rest of my life and, given my good health otherwise, that may be a long time. But if this eyesight continues for another decade or two I will be able to accomplish what I hope for -- to find new adventures, immerse myself in challenges, and emerge with a rewarding sense of achievement.


Damn, life contains surprises. Becoming happy is not what I expected at this point.

11 comments:

  1. Sudden illness/injury peels back the layers in our lives. Sometimes those things change our lives irrevocably, and not always negatively. Maybe those things don't always make sense to those outside ourselves, but I think we should take joy and euphoria and big and small pleasures however they come.

    I'm glad to hear about your happy things. I hope you continue to have good vision days, and have fewer pain filled ones. I enjoy the things you share with me and others because your vibrant, vivacious mind and your zest for life and curiosity to discover what's still out there inspires me to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, pal, for the kind perspective. I'm traveling through a foreign land, not knowing what's ahead, and simply reporting my experiences. I appreciate that you listen and care.

      Delete
  2. If it's of help, my partner has a long term health issue, bless her, and it's changed her world view as well as our lives. Mrs J isn't losing her sight, but her health is on a downward slope, and it's not one you walk back up. She said that proved she's free from pain, that helps the most. So, you do what you can do, and hang on in there.

    I hope you have more good days than not, and the bad ones are brief & fleeting 💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn. Those are helpful words. Having experiences like your partner's and mine shows us how bizarre "normal" life is: a facade created to ignore and sleepwalk reality. When you face real danger, pain, etc. your perspective shifts dramatically. The reason I'm grateful now for simple pleasures is recognizing the absence of worse stuff.

      Delete
  3. I'm delighted to read that you've been experiencing bouts of euphoria in the face of adversity! I'm not sure if it's comparable at all, but I once experienced similar sensations when emerging from depression. Being grateful for the small things is a source of happiness! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. Everything is relative so when you're facing hardship, anything easier feels like a blessing.

      Delete
  4. Yup, what Megan said. It sometimes takes a tragedy to really hit home that one's life is SO short and that true joy is found in the little things. I'm glad for you that you're experiencing this, Ally.

    "The parade of human stupidity" - I laughed at this, but also winced. Damn, people are so...stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed that sentence. So did I. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm glad for the euphoria you are experiencing and I hope and pray that your vision holds up to ensure you get to experience what you long to. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kezzie. Your support gives me strength.

      Delete
  6. I'm really glad to hear this, Ally. It's not the same, but I sort of feel similarly about running - I've accepted that I can't run the way I used to but wasn't happy about it. After my dad was made completely immobile from a bad stroke, now I feel euphoric that I can go 2 miles. Anyway, every day I hope your vision holds up, as I know all your friends do - and if it doesn't, we're still here for you!

    ReplyDelete