Thursday, December 28, 2023

Hockey

We battled heavy rain tonight to travel to New Jersey and watch the Devils win a hockey game. They played the Columbus Blue Jackets and the game was exciting. 

The Devils were behind until the literal last minute of regulation time when Luke Hughes (Jack's younger brother) tied it up 3-3. Then, in sudden-death overtime, Timo Meier found the back of the net with a blazing wrist-shot which won the game. It was good to see Timo score; he's been battling back from an injury suffered last month.

Hockey teaches us about global culture. The sport originated in Canada so naturally it was first played by Canucks. Today however players come from everywhere. Timo was born and raised in Switzerland. One of my favorite Devils, Ondřej Palát, scored the first goal tonight; he comes from the Czech Republic. Ondřej's name has two punctuation marks I've never seen before; initially I had no idea how to pronounce it.

The closer you look at the world, the more you see. 😎

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the hockey update! I live vicariously through your posts. I don't have the enthusiasm for it myself but I love other people's excitement and gain joy from that.

    Speaking of names - Ncuti Gatwa! The new Doctor Who. He's Rwandan Scottish and it's been exciting to see people learning more about him. His name is also much easier to pronounce than first look - shoo-tee gat-wa. He's also FABULOUS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's cool. I also get exposed to new things by friends' enthusiasm. Often a single individual (like Gatwa) will open a mental door for us. Thanks for the fun comment, bud.

      Delete
  2. I've never actually watched Hockey on TV but I have a secret affection for the sport as it was the only sport at school that I was not terrible at. Not sure why but I was quite good in goal for a while when we first learnt it and it was the one sport I wasn't chosen last for!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Sports often cause bad experiences so I'm glad you had a good one with this. Professional hockey is remarkable -- the players' skating ability is so high, their speed is so fast and the action is non-stop. It far surpasses all other pro sports. Give it a look when you get a chance. Otherwise I'll have to fly you over here and take you to a game. :)

      Delete