Friday, November 10, 2023

Working In The Coal Mine

I think I camake you laugh at my misfortune. Well, not my blindness per se but rather my weird efforts to improve the situation. Some are downright comical.


I can see, sorta, but have visual impairments. These make life difficult and treacherous. I've struggled for months to conceive and craft practical solutions. Here are two examples. (There are dozens more.)


I've lost depth-perception: I can't judge how close or far away things are. This poses constant problems, the biggest being injury from bumping into things. Early on my legs, body and head were frequently bruised from unplanned collisions with stationary objects like furniture and walls. Equally perilous are stairs: I can't see which is the last step and, oops! down I go. You probably don't know but many staircases and escalators in public places have yellow stripes across the last step. They aren't noticed by sighted folk but are invaluable to me. They signal where stairs end and when to get off escalators. They save my ass regularly.


I came up with a way to avoid bumping into things from a terrific book I read last year ("An Immense World"). The book describes innumerable ways animals perceive their environment, many of which exceed our own physical senses, such as seeing lightwaves outside the human range. I thought, if I was a six foot tall insect with poor eyesight, how could I sense my environment other than through eyesight? The answer is obvious: I would use antennae.


I wasn't born with antennae but I can use my front legs (you call them arms) as such. I stretch them out in front of me, in a diamond-shape, to detect nearby objects as I move through space. Every day my arms brush up against something I'm glad I didn't slam into with my face or body. The maneuver saves me from injury. I use this technique in private settings to avoid alarming anyone but you can picture me as a tall insect with outstretched antennae and laugh. It's okay.


A second example is even funnier. My biggest visual impairment is darkness. What I see (with my one good eye) is only half as bright as what you see. Even when I add powerful lamps to a room the lighting is still not bright enough to see clearly. Peering through darkness is my constant curse. I have, however, discovered a partial solution.


A headlamp. The kind coal miners use. They sell them today to hikers and outdoorsy folk for nighttime activities. Using one (at maximum brightness) I can suddenly read labels on file folders, see contents of boxes and get shit done. Before I found this I was stymied in doing the most basic tasks. Now, looking like a coal miner, I'm productive.


This, also, is something I do in private. If you walk into the room and see me using one, you'll laugh. How can you not? The sight is inherently funny. Particularly since I'm singing coal mining songs while I labor. (My favorite is "Dyin' To Make A Livin'.")


It's important to enjoy humor wherever we can find it, especially in hard times. When I see myself doing something odd (but effective!) I laugh. And so should you. It's healthy.

16 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're finding workable ways to make your way through life, and if it takes a little imagination to laugh at things, too, it's good! I know some of the toughest times of my life I'd daydream a little something. Sometimes it was on long car rides during my parents separation I'd pretend I was on a space shuttle to a far off world. Even now I still sometimes tell myself little stories in my head to make life a little more interesting, especially for the hard stuff.

    That said, I love those little headlamps. My MIL, my dad and I have all used them for crafting, sewing and reading. I also have used a magnifier with a light too for small stuff.

    My personal go-to work song is still Dolly Parton 9 to 5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great sharing; thank you. I also have a magnifier with built-in lights for reading paper books and magazines.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you are finding solutions - and humour - to overcome the problems you are faced with, Ally. Such a shame they can only be used in private settings though ... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Beth in Maryland: Finding humor in adversity is something I admire about you, Ally. You inspire me because I tend to throw myself pity parties. You just say, This may look ridiculous but it's useful to me so I'm going to do it. By the way, those are smart solutions! Best wishes, Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth. I'm no stranger to pity parties. I occasionally wake up, sit on my backyard steps before dawn and bawl my eyes out. But nothing productive ever comes from that so I look for actions with greater efficacy. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  4. Not going to lie, I did see you dressed up in a large fluffy bee suit with cute black fluffy deely-bopper headband when you said to picture you as an insect! I'm going with it because it is a cute image (and cute striped tights too!). It's a good technique to adopt as it's much easier to bang your hand rather than your nose!
    I'm ALWAYS banging my legs against desks at school and often walking into door frames when in a hurry as I can only see out of one of my eyes and my depth perception isn't great so I do sympathise on the banging into things but at least it's only when in a hurry for me!
    Hope you are well my lovely!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I love your imagination, especially the striped tights. And I sympathize with your vision difficulties. We're more alike than most people. :)

      Delete
  5. Great post Ally.

    So glad that you're able to find ways to overcome the obstacles that you face daily right now.

    I was watching the news the other day and I heard about the first full eye transplant operation which had taken place in the USA and instantly I thought of you.

    Whilst the guy receiving the eye still couldn't see despite the operation going well and the eye being in a healthy state, maybe with time he might, who knows. Hopefully with the miracles of science and technology it will soon be possible to see again after such an operation. I keep my fingers crossed x

    Best Wishes

    Lotte x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lotte. I heard about that too. My situation differs, of course; my eye is fine; it's the optic nerve that's destroyed. Even a new eye wouldn't fix that. Today they can't repair nerves but maybe someday in the future... I'll keep hope alive!

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you have a sense of humor about this! And it sounds like you did actually find some solutions - they might look silly but they really help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for reading and the suggestion. I've never heard of a neck lamp but can see how it'd be helpful. I have a large magnifier with lights that I hang around my neck; I use it to read magazines. I hope you find ways to ease your condition.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When life hands you lemons...become a head lamp wearing insect lol I had to wear a headlamp when we went hiking in a pitch black cave a few months ago. I forgot I was wearing it and looked straight at a man walking in the opposite direction. He was not too pleased lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes, I forget mine is on, too. I often have to check with my hands to see. Thanks for sharing, Karen.

      Delete
  9. A headlamp is a very practical solution. Good you were able to find things that help...and I wouldn't worry much about what people would think about outstretched arms or headlamp. Your personal safety should come first.

    ReplyDelete