Friday, November 17, 2023

On The Road Again...

On Sunday I'm going to do something I thought I'd never do again -- ride a motorcycle. No, I won't be operating the bike; my friend Jaime will. He offered me the back seat on his touring bike (BWM K1200LT). I used to own that exact same model (in 2002-2014). The bike is a behemoth designed for long-distance touring.


We're doing a full day's ride with the Nassau Wings, traveling to several North Fork vineyards. We'll buy local wines for the holidays. I always get blueberry port; it's not available anywhere but at the winery (Duck Walk Vineyards). It's delicious.


In the old days this ride was initially named after Jaime and me because we conceived the idea for it. Since then "Jaime and Ralph's Champagne Run" has become an annual tradition. I'm excited to attend it again, back on two wheels.

13 comments:

  1. What fab news! I hope you have a great ride and enjoy the feeling of the wind against you. Do wrap up warm! 💜

    Have you had a test run to hone your pillion techniques?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And no, that would have been a good idea.

      Delete
  2. from Beth in Maryland: The Champagne Run sounds wonderful! Champagne is my favorite wine. What a nice way to enjoy autumn and end up with some delicious wine. The blueberry port sounds absolutely fabulous. Best wishes, Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth. This has always been my favorite ride for the reasons you mention. We get on our bikes during a time of year most have put theirs away, enjoy a relaxing ride out east through beautiful farmland, converse with old friends and come home with delicious wines.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a fantastic trip. Blueberry port? I'm not a wine person typically but that sounds delightful. You have such great taste. Hope you enjoyed the wind in your hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, pal. I'm not a wine snob and enjoy port because of its fruity flavor. Often called "dessert wine," port is usually sweeter than normal wine. To make port they distill normal wine into an essence that has more flavor and more sweetness. I liken it to expresso compared to plain coffee.

      Delete
  4. That sounds very exciting Ally! I'm so happy for you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, I love that this is a tradition! I'm all emotional that Jamie and you were able to keep doing it. Blueberry port sounds amazing - I am fond of port (well, I used to be - 6 years sober!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila. The tradition aspect of this ride really propelled me to attend it again. Lots of personal history with it and my friends.

      Delete
  6. So excited for you!!!! Traditions with friends are always a joy but this is imbued with so much more meaning this year! Kezzie xx

    ReplyDelete