Saturday, September 18, 2021

Glass Art

I collected my first truly major work of art today. It's spectacular.

The piece was crafted by the greatest glass artist in the world, Lino Tagliapietra. Now 86, Lino retired last year after seventy years of making glass art. His work is internationally renowned and exhibited by more than 50 museums including the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Lino not only made great art, he invented new techniques of Venetian glass-blowing. Several documentaries have been made about him and he's taught at the highest level.

Lino is having a show next month at the most prestigious glass art gallery in New York (Heller Gallery). I was given a private preview of the offered work. I eagerly bought an amazing piece that elates me every time I look at it. I plan to enjoy this art-work for years to come.







16 comments:

  1. That's amazing, and from such a skilled and talented artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The identity of its remarkable creator adds to the appeal of the work.

      Delete
  2. I love glass art and this is AMAZING! You made such a great choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is sublime - it reminds me of flames, feathers, a phoenix rising...a very apt metaphor for this new stage of your life, Ally. Congratulations on your acquisition/investment, and I hope this gives you so much pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness, that is exquisite! You chose SUCH a lovely piece. If you squint at it, it looks almost 2D which makes it really intriguing- I'd love to see it from all angles! I love the colours- they remind me of my favourite Scarlet and Gold Macaw parrot. How special to be invited to a preview and to know that this work is yours when everyone else sees it! I also think it is fabulous to invest in artists.
    Amazing that he worked until he was 85! That's dedication to your art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. He started working with glass when he was 12 and continued for 70 years. That's a clear sign he loved his art.

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, that really is amazing!! The colors are so vibrant, just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is absolutely STUNNING! I love glass art!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is something very creative. Love the neatness and colors.

    lOVE: Mariann Yip
    https://www.mariannyc.com/best-fall-activities-in-nyc

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous!

    We have a lot of glass out here (in the PNW) and even several places to take glass blowing classes.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. You should visit them. I will when I'm in the area.

      Delete