Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Pants Are Not Just For Boys

When I get a chance to wear women's clothing, the last thing I think about is pants. Why would I want to wear pants? I wear pants every day as a man so my female eye turns to dresses and skirts. But that's foolish -- pants can be feminine, too.

My friend Sheila, who displays inventive outfits at Ephemera, is constantly showing me that pants are attractive. And feminine. Seeing her outfits causes me to re-think my bias against pants.

Last Saturday I was walking around my neighborhood and saw a sign for a garage sale. I headed down the suburban street to find a lawn full of boring bourgeois items. I kept searching and found a clothes-rack in the back -- and the clothes were nice. Squee!!

I've been looking for men's shirts with French cuffs because I have cufflinks I want to wear more often. But such shirts are hard to find and normally expensive (e.g., over $100). The garage sale rack had two beautiful new blue shirts with French cuffs. I snapped 'em up. I also found a pair of women's pants and a simple blue dress. Nothing had a price on it. I took the four pieces to the owner, curious what this was going to cost.

The owner was female, about 50. She opened with "you picked the best stuff!" She said the shirts belonged to her ex-fiance: she bought them for him and he didn't like 'em. The pants and dress were hers. She pointed out the pants are from Henri Bendel, a luxury brand that sadly just announced it's closing after 123 years.

The woman looked at the four items. She said $10 would be enough for all of them. She said the proceeds are being donated to a local animal-rescue charity. I gave her $20, told her to keep the change and felt I'd scored a huge bargain. The shirts alone are worth over $200.

Here are the pants with by an embroidered top from the 1980's which I bought today at my favorite store (Rosie's Vintage in Huntington).

Do you wear pants?










16 comments:

  1. What a score! And a good cause too - I love that you "tipped" her, and good for you, spotting the best stuff!

    These trousers are FABULOUS on you, Ally! Great cut, and they look amazing with the red shoes. I might try tucking the top in to raise the waistline and show off your long legs. You do look awesome in this shade of red - wowza!

    Thank you so much for the shout-out, sweetheart! I really do appreciate it! Hugs, She

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does this look fab? So 60's!

    Sounds like you stumbled on a great garage sale. They are rarely like that here, just a bunch of junk.

    I love that she was donated her proceeds to an animal shelter.

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so interesting that, after you comment on my outfits, I instantly recognize the validity of your feedback -- and then wonder why I didn't see that initially. Thanks for helping me learn. :)

      Delete
  3. Great finds! I am loving those pants and all that red on you too! So you scored with the clothes and the shelter scored with your donation! Double win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I felt really good when I heard where the money was going.

      Delete
  4. Awww what a great score and love to hear where the money is going! You have impeccable taste and love that you snatched up the best things on the rack: those items were meant to be in your closet where you can now breathe life into them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, buddy. One big benefit of buying second-hand is rescuing clothes that would otherwise end up in a landfill.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like indeed you picked the best stuff! Well done, Ally! Love those pants on you, with the red top and shoes. I'm seconding Sheila's advise to try tucking the top into the pants, which would look amazing! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being that we're heading into cold days, yep, I'm wearing pants! And I love this look on you! Pants can definitely be a feminine thing I think!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm interested to know how you felt in these. I sense your stance in different. More strong and less delicate. Did it feel like that?
    I often think transwomen stand out more by going all feminine and girly ( not that there's anything wrong with that) and yet ciswomen mostly wear pants. Of course it is all about how you feel and not what most women wear.
    I hope this came across nicely and not critically :-/
    I think this looks great on you and I would leave it as is. The blouse untucked has a nice casual relaxed vibe and the heels and shiny fabric and embroidery dress it up again.
    Xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your perception is accurate. I felt strong and that's shown in my stance. When wearing female clothing, I usually cross my legs and don't stand like this; here, it felt natural.

      You make a good point about being trans. Many trans-women pursue extreme femininity. I'm at the point where I don't because I no longer equate femininity with being female.

      Delete
  8. Major score!! I have had better luck thrifting since locating a thrift store.

    You know me I am all about the pants! I need more patterned ones right now, though.

    I got your card. Gann-McKenzie family says thank you! Especially my own 'halloweenie'

    ReplyDelete
  9. I prefer dresses and skirts, however that whole outfit is phenomenal. I'm a tad bit jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gold pants, how fun! I actually gravitate toward pants over dresses and skirts. :)

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow I dream of encountering a lawn patio sale like that !
    I would wear that outfit in a heart beat- how wonderful that this lady was donating to such a good cause.

    ReplyDelete