Friday, August 17, 2018

Jumping In The Saddle

Last year I discovered a fabulous place hidden in upstate New York -- the small town of Hudson. I'm leaving on my motorcycle right now for another trip up there. I'm hoping for a relaxing long weekend.

Hudson is just below Albany. Despite its rural location, the town is populated by hipsters who left New York City for a better environment. These ex-pats from Manhattan and Brooklyn bring urban culture with them and create an rare phenomenon -- city sophistication in upstate NY. Normally this area lacks that, relying instead on its bucolic countryside. It's nice to have both.

Hudson has exceptional restaurants, boutiques, art galleries and parks. My favorite spot here is a motorcycle-themed coffee-shop ("Moto"). Moto has real bikes, partially-disassembled, in the midst of fake repair. At first I thought the machines were actually being repaired but learned they're simply decorations for the expresso-drinking crowd. The shop sells motorcycle t-shirts and the coffee's good, too. Some pics from my last trip are below.

What are you doing this weekend?



















8 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great weekend! I am doing too much this weekend, a wedding, a hair cut and a fundraiser for some friends. It's all good stuff, just a lot of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have an amazing weekend in Hudson! We are going to be shopping and stocking up for back to school things. Clothes and supplies! Fun times :) Cant wait to see more pictures from your trip! Safe travels friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hudson sounds like an interesting town! Wishing you an enjoyable and relaxing long weekend. Mine will not be so exciting, I'm afraid! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to visit! You always discover the best little spots!

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds fun! I was just chatting up your motorcycle adventures to my friend who has a motorcycle magazine. You are always out and about doing fun rides.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a lovely way to spend a weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hudson is a true gem, perhaps the crown jewel of the revival of some of the wonderful river towns that fell into hard times after the Great Society urban renewal era. I was up in Hudson about two years ago and you can just kick back and relax.
    On your river tours you may want to also give a stop at Beacon which has had a bit of a similar revival. On the other side of the river my old haunting grounds at New Paltz is worth the trip as is a ride up to Woodstock.

    ReplyDelete