Thursday, October 24, 2024

A Life Of The Mind

“Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the Romance of the unusual.”

  -- Ernest Hemingway

One of the consolations of my current condition is the ability to read, think and write. From childhood to today reading has opened doors for me, supplied knowledge and engaged my curiosity. I can't imagine being without it.

Every week I devour The New Yorker cover-to-cover. Lately I'm waist-deep in Tom Wolfe's oeuvre. It's fun to encounter new words (like "shambolic", "boulevardier" and "houri"). I'm also tickled by clever sentences such as: "It would be as risky as trying to beat a burning fuse to the dynamite"; "...the peculiar male compulsion to display knowledge"; and "Moral bitterness is a basic technique for endowing the idiot with dignity."

What do you like to read?

9 comments:

  1. Oooh, I love a good murder mystery. I love a Regency romance, I love a children's adventure story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like this photograph.
    I like to read on everything from modern Physics, to fine Literature. I really picked the right profession for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I took this picture myself of my friend Emma when we visited the Columbus Museum of Art (in Ohio).

      Delete
    2. You have an eye for photography. You really captured Emma's focus on the painting.

      Delete
  3. I picked up the latest two Jim Butcher books from the used book store. I keep meaning to renew my library card (I think it's still in my maiden name). They recently moved out library so I'm hopeful it's easier to access now.

    I like a good escape book, but Jim Butcher has a more elevated approach to even his urban fantasy books. He weaves long threads that eventually pay off books and books later.

    I sometimes browse the books in my job's lobby (recently Braiding the Sweetgrass) but we have a whole little library of curated books from history to self help to advice. But some of the topics are heavy and it's not great to cry at my desk lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most public libraries have been expanding their offerings lately, beyond books. Mine offers e-books, digital magazines and newspapers (like The New York Times) which I get electronically and don't have to leave the couch. Renew your card and see the FREE delights they have!

      Delete
  4. " It's fun to encounter new words..."

    I'm with you on shambolic being a fab word. See also the more recent British update 'omni shambles' from In The Thick of It (warning! very strong language if you check it out on YouTube).

    If you have a love of words, may I recommend a look for Susie Dent's books and - if she's still on there - her Word of Day on Twitter/X(crement).

    ReplyDelete