Friday, June 1, 2018
I've been making plans to ride my motorcycle this Summer. Here are the destinations:
- Watkins Glen: I hear the state park in this Finger Lake region is one of the most scenic in the country. It's 300 miles from my home.
- Potsdam: North of the Adirondacks, this rural town is home to my good friend Aimee. 380 miles.
- Montreal: I love Canada and this is one city I haven't visited yet. 400 miles.
- Columbus, Ohio: I like this Midwestern city whose biggest draw is my friend Emma. 575 miles.
- Detroit: Two years ago my pal Sara showed me the many attractions of this transitioning city; I'm returning to hang out with her. 600 miles.
- Hudson, NY: The hippest town in all upstate. 150 miles.
And that's only through August. I enjoy rides in September and October when the weather is still good and places are less crowded.
You might wonder why I'm so active, particularly since I have a full-time job that demands time and energy. It's because of uncertainty in the future. Nobody knows what tomorrow holds. I choose to enjoy life while I have the chance. Even though I'm still "young" and in good health, things can go South fast. I had a friend Geoff who, in his forties, got a brain tumor and died suddenly. Also, in my family, my mother and brother passed away at early ages with little warning. I don't take longevity for granted.
Where are you going this Summer?