Monday, August 8, 2016

Satisfaction


I had a terrific day today, full of achievements. Experiences that mean something to me, if no one else. My day possessed purpose, accomplishment and fulfillment.

I'm reflecting on how this happened and I come to a single conclusion -- the answer is hard work. Each of the things that occurred was the result of past sustained effort. And much of the satisfaction I feel comes from seeing that dedication bear fruit.

My day started off with a serious dilemma at work. A difficult adversary sprung something on me Friday and I worried about it all weekend. My brain conceived a brilliant solution late last night. I implemented my idea this morning and, by 11 a.m., the dilemma was solved. I out-maneuvered a treacherous opponent with clever cunning. My solution has the value of a week's work, so I earned a week's pay by lunchtime on Monday.

Next, I spent two hours riding one of the most powerful, technologically-advanced motorcycles on the planet. The machine is like a Hattori Hanzo samurai sword -- it's as dangerous as it is potent. I derive intense joy from continuing to improve my riding-skill on this monster.



I used that mode of transportation to eat a fabulous meal at a distant Chinese restaurant. I discovered the place recently after searching online for weeks and trying several alternatives. Despite having to travel far to reach this culinary destination, I savored a super-spicy dish of Ma Po Tofu with brown rice. Szechuan cooking at its finest.



Finally, I shot some pool, as I have been doing regularly since I last posted about the game. Daily practice has restored my consistency and I'm playing well. Occasionally, as occurred today, I make absurdly-difficult shots (like full-length double-cushion bank-shots on a 9-ft. table). When this happens, I laugh out loud. I play alone so there's nobody to impress. I'm just enjoying myself.

All of these pleasures resulted from hard work. None came easy. In fact, it is precisely because they require effort that makes them valuable. When you get the sense that you earned an experience, you cherish it more.

When was the last time you felt good about achieving a goal?

21 comments:

  1. How great to get your nimble mind to work so well for you! and your nimble body, to handle that scary bike! Yikes! The food does look delish though!
    My goals involve a much smaller amount of adrenaline !
    My goals are simple and domestic, and rather small on the face of them. But I am ok with that.
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad your hard work is paying off in so many different areas! How amazing! And wowsers, does riding that bike sound amazing. And that Ma Po Tofu looks delicious... a super spicy dish really hits the spot some days...and it sounds like it was well worth the journey. :) I hope the rest of your week goes just as well!

    ~Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes, just sometimes, when I enter your blog I feel inadequate...!
    You are one amazing human...just sayin'.
    Xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! I'm sorry to have that effect, JJ. We are ALL special in our unique ways. I admire your courage to be honest about your gender-identity and I'm sure there's plenty more to respect about you. My apology if I ever make you feel bad. That's completely unintended and unfortunate. I'll try to avoid it in the future.

      Delete
    2. Also, I hope I made it clear in the post that my achievements come from work, not natural ability. I wasn't born with talent; I got to where I am through effort. I'm of ordinary intelligence, ordinary looks and was grown in an ordinary, middle-class suburb. Everything I have came from diligence -- which is a quality everyone can develop.

      Delete
  4. Awesome post ... Hope the rest of the week falls into place just the way you want it to!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. After yesterday, I feel like I can coast a little, which is nice in the Summer.

      Delete
  5. Eventually our internet is back so I can catch up on all my favourite bloggers posts and you are first!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a sweet thing to say, Lynn. I'm always dreaming about riding my motorcycle across the ocean to visit you once they build a bridge. :-)

      Delete
    2. When they build that bridge we will meet in the middle ... I'll make my hunny ride over on his motorcycle with me on the back!!!

      Delete
  6. Oh what a great feeling !
    and next time I'm in town you've got to take me to that place where they sell that tofu - looks SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is important to celebrate well-deserved achievements, and it's OK to feel happy and proud of job well done. We all have enough days when we feel down, so it's great to read about someone happy with their achievements. Yes, I'm all in favour of bragging when there's good reason for it. Self-made success and achievement through one's talent and hard work deserve admiration, we can use it as a positive example of what is possible. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tiina. I appreciate your response. I was worried when writing this that my message might get misunderstood.

      Delete
  8. Such a positive post, which has got me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome writing, I love the flow, so effortlessly genuine,,, I wish I could be like that, I think I've lost my spark haha it's the AZ weather I guess.
    xx Bing.
    www.bingyourstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My writing improved during college; the school emphasized it as a vital skill.

      Delete
  10. Huge high fives on an incredible, productive, and deeply rewarding day, Ally. Thank you for sharing the highlights of it with us.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  11. We love Mapo Tofu, also try Dandan noodles its another great spicy dish with a sweetness to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm, I LOVE the look of that tofu! You are a very hard worker and you deserve the achievements that your effort and diligence brings you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this so much, Ally... this, especially: "...it is precisely because they require effort that makes them valuable. When you get the sense that you earned an experience, you cherish it more."

    SO MUCH YES.

    Also this tofu looks amazing. YUM!

    ReplyDelete