Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Potsdam? Pots-DAMN!

Travel teaches us geography. For example, my friend Aimee moved to a place called Potsdam. Until now, the name was merely a word to me. I had no real idea where the place was.

I just learned that Potsdam is as far north as you can go before entering Canada. It's right on the border. Rural, cold and foresty, Potsdam is like an old-West frontier-town. Its residents, including Aimee, are hardy, strong and fierce. Aimee, despite her small size, is one of the physically-strongest people I know -- she walks dozens of miles a day, splits lumber with ease, and can lift me over her head if she wants to. I try not to make her want to... it's too embarrassing.

Aimee has a blog where she displays her mad talents as a seamstress. Two years ago, she made me a pretty apron that I cherish dearly.

On Friday I'm heading up to Potsdam to visit Aimee. Potsdam is a full-day's ride: I'll put over 1,000 miles on my new motorcycle with the two-day trip. It'll serve as a coincidental warm-up to my bigger motorcycle trip next week. On Thursday I'm riding to Detroit (to visit Sara), will stop in Pittsburgh (to visit Gracey) and may venture into Punxsutawney (to visit Phil). That longer trip is 2,000 miles and will take five days (with one day off the bike for sightseeing).

I used to go on a lot of long motorcycle rides and I miss them. Full days in the saddle free your mind. Your brain flows into a meditative, peaceful state... unless, of course, you encounter an angry groundhog and have to defend yourself...


14 comments:

  1. LOL! I think my attributes have been somewhat exaggerated. I'm mostly a homebody these days. :-)

    Actually, I live (and was born and raised) in Hopkinton, NY. We don't have a post office so our address is Potsdam.

    Potsdam is more in the valley than the wooded foothills and isn't directly on the border, but pretty close. It is considered hoity-toity by the rest of us locals and is the self-proclaimed 'cultural center' of St. Lawrence County (the largest county in NYS).

    I hope the weather is nice for you. Because the drive through the Mountains is gorgeous! Especially through Keene.

    Can't wait to see you!

    -Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so freaking excited! Squeeeeee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a place called Potsdam in the USA, too??!!! Potsdam is in Germany, of course...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you see how much further south Toronto is from where you are headed? People don't realize how far down Ontario drops.

    I think you chose a great time to visit. I'm sure that will be a beautiful drive.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see your upcoming photo's. Just travel safe and have fun as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, it's been gorgeous here this week. I hope it'll stay for your ride, but plan for snow anyway because, well, Pittsburgh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm I didn't know that, isn't there one in Germany too?

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Potsdam is actually a city in Germany near Berlin!

    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  9. For a moment you had me thinking you were headed to Germany ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad you are back on your bike. Aimee, sounds very interesting. I admire her strength, and will check her blog! Happy travels!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like an amazing place. I love the wilderness...forests hold a special place in my heart.

    There really is nothing like being on a motorcycle. It truly is a freeing experience. Ride safe!

    xo Azu

    ReplyDelete
  12. Potsdam is a place here in Germany, right next to Berlin. They have a pretty castle and university. But I think almost every German town can be found in the US too ;)
    Thanks a lot for your last comment – I always appreciate your thoughts on my posts! : )
    Xx
    Larissa
    cenestquedelachance.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than using Indian names, virtually all American towns are named for European places. Lots of German, Dutch and British names here.

      Delete