Thursday, March 10, 2011

Video, Anyone?

I get my best ideas from other bloggers.  And I confess to that openly.

Blogs are fun -- we get to look at pictures of our friends and read their words.  I've noticed, however, that you get more information by seeing someone talk.  Watching their face when they speak, and listening to the words they use, tells us lots of information that doesn't come through in still-photographs and the written word.  Our minds analyze people's faces and draw instant conclusions.  We ascertain someone's intelligence, their personality and whether we like them.  In short, we learn lots more about people from watching them talk than we do from viewing their blog.

Obviously the best way to do this is in person but, with blogger-friends around the world, it isn't feasible to fly to Europe, Australia and South Africa.  The next best thing, I've just learned is video!  We can vlog ("video-log") on our blogs.

I got this idea from Sara, one of my best blogger-buddies.  She recently posted a vlog of herself talking.  She didn't say much but the impact was enormous. 

I knew I liked Sara before but listening to her speak made me fall deeply and hopelessly in blogger-love.  Her charming personality is so palpable in the video.  Within seconds, I wanted to hug her.

Another blogger-friend, Wendy, mentioned that she is curious about my accent (as I am about hers) since I live in New York and she lives in South Africa.  As often as we view each other's blogs, I'm sure there will be a momentary shock when we first hear each other speak.  We probably both assume we talk with the same accent we hear everyday but the reality is certain to be very different.  It will be fun when we can finally listen to each other.

So... where does this lead?  In a clear direction: I'm going to make a vlog.  I'm gonna let you hear me talk.  It will be fun to see your reactions.

Would you ever consider posting a video of yourself on your blog?

15 comments:

  1. I look forward to your vlog! In a reversal of what you are discussing here, I often get a mental image of a person from their voice on the phone...and often, I am dead wrong when I meet the person in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DO IT!!!!

    And thanks for the kind words! I really want you to do a vlog! :D :D :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting...
    I did a DIY video about a year ago, but its just my voice... I am not in the video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just thinking about this the other day.. I would love to see your vlog.. and yes, maybe I would do one too!!! cant wait.. ohhhh Ralphy!! xoxo J

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did this quite some time ago - I should do it again so you can hear and see me.

    I would love to really see and hear you! Do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoy watching blogger videos, but would be too awkward talking in front of a camera I think xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to see you talk on a video. I would not be able to though because I hate my voice lol. I sound like a chipmunk. If tele marketers call and I answer they ask to speak to my parents.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, I apologize: I've been reading your blog, but I haven't been commenting. Your bad news post put me at a bit of loss for words, and I just didn't feel right commenting on your other posts up until now. I'd say I'd pray for your friend, but I'm not too big on religion, so just know he--and you--will be in my thoughts. And I am so with you on the live life to its fullest all the time thing.

    I don't mind a video on a blog every now and then, but I hate when someone starts to post nothing but videos. I've thought of doing a FAQ video, but it just doesn't seem right. I'm a blogger, not a vlogger! Plus, I can't download videos with my wifi without crashing the system, so I just avoid them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Videos are such a great way to communicate in a more direct way! I love the idea of hearing your voice and seeing the body language! If only I knew how to make one! But I agree with Ashley about bloggers that only post videos, I'm not so into that.We can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhh that's a great idea! I've wanting to make a vlog for the longest time possible. But... I'm afraid my spoken english sucks. And that's because I don't have a lot of chances to speak in English. And when I do.. I freeze <.< and I feel stupid. Damn!! D:

    But yay for a vlog!! Maybe one day I'll get confident enough to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a great idea! I can't wait to see your vlog and to hear you speak and see what you're like. I have become so fond of your blog and I'm so excited for you =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've only done one video so far (my holiday makeup tutorial), and we planned to do them fairly often until we realized while doing the first one how much time it takes to do tutorials and edit and condense into no more than 15 minutes. :) I don't know how regular vloggers manage it. Still, hope to have a wedding makeup tutorial up sometime in the foreseeable future.

    I haaaaaate the way my recorded speaking voice sounds. I don't think it sounds the way I really sound in person (I think my singing voice is accurate, though, oddly). But it was really interesting to see myself on video (I had before but not in a while)...I realized I have all these nuances I'm not even aware of until I see myself from that outside perspective! I sorta cracked myself up watching it and not in a bad way. It's really surreal watching myself.

    I'd LOVE to see you do a video! I have this whole image of what you're like in my head and am interested to know if it's right.

    As a side note, I think sometimes it's easier to get to know someone just through their writing...you may not be able to see the nuances, but often people will write things that they can't bring themselves to open up about in person.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good points, Jen. You always contribute real insights.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait to see your video. I love a vlog too. I'm way too self-conscious to do one myself. So, you can do it for the rest of us scaredy cats.

    xo,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello you sweetheart - love your comment on my blog and yes, it's rather interesting how certain people pull us and I do believe there's a higher power at work for some reason unknown as yet.

    I'm looking forward to your vlog and maybe one day when I'm feeling daring may record one myself ... could be fun and add a new dimension to the blog :-). You will HAVE to let us know when it'll be up.

    ReplyDelete